Wirelessly Link to Weather, Traffic, GPS and More
- Receive subscription-free animated U.S. datalink weather¹ via ADS-B “In”
- ADS-B dual-band traffic with TargetTrend™ and TerminalTraffic™ technology³
- Wireless connectivity for display on select mobile device apps and Garmin portables
- Compact device with rechargeable battery; designed to sit on aircraft glareshield
- Provides GPS position data, backup attitude4 and more
Providing an easy-to-use and completely portable aviation datalink, the compact GDL 50 ADS-B receiver lets you access the subscription-free ADS-B weather and traffic services available in the U.S. — all while providing GPS position, speed and altitude information as well as backup attitude reference. Better still, you can use our Connext® wireless connectivity to stream this information onto multiple Garmin aviation portables (including aera® 660, aera 796 or aera 795 series) as well as iPad® tablets and mobile devices with the Garmin Pilot™ app.
Spot Potential Traffic Threats
To aid in situational awareness, GDL 50 can also receive ADS-B position reports directly from other aircraft in your vicinity. In the U.S., 2 frequencies (978 UAT and 1090 ES) are approved by the FAA for ADS-B broadcasts, so the GDL 50 series offers access to both frequencies. This allows you to see the most comprehensive view of all ADS-B “Out” equipped targets in your vicinity. Your compatible display³ will alert you by announcing traffic targets both audibly and visually. Spoken audio alerts announce “Traffic, Traffic” to get you looking right away.
For airport operations, TerminalTraffic technology (a part of the comprehensive Garmin suite of Terminal Safety Solutions) enables ADS-B equipped surface targets to be displayed on your device’s SafeTaxi® diagram, so you can see what’s happening with traffic on busy runways and taxiways. ADS-B equipped aircraft in flight are easily distinguished from ground vehicles and taxiing aircraft, which are displayed using distinct colors and symbols. Thus, TerminalTraffic provides a clear, real-time overview of on-surface activity in the airport environment.
Battery Power for Hours
GDL 50 is a true go-anywhere device. A rechargeable built-in lithium-ion battery allows GDL 50 to operate for up to 8 hours on a single charge. And for operation connected to power, you can plug it into your aircraft’s 12 V power outlet with the included adapter cable, or use the microUSB port positioned on the side of the receiver.
Link up with the Benefits of ADS-B
For pilots who want subscription-free U.S. datalink weather and traffic, the compact GDL 50 portable ADS-B receiver offers a versatile solution with an array of additional capabilities. And by going with Garmin, your receiver will be backed by a comprehensive 1-year warranty — and by the industry’s No. 1-ranked product support team.
GDL 50 is a noncertified receive-only product. It does not provide ADS-B “Out” capability to satisfy FAA mandate requirements.
¹Not all ADS-B weather products may be available across all devices. Check your Pilot’s Guide for specifics about which products are available on your device.
²View our growing list of compatible devices
³Audible traffic alerting, TargetTrend and TerminalTraffic require compatible displays. Check your Pilot’s Guide for specific capabilities available on your display.
4The attitude information provided by GDL 50 is not intended to be a source of attitude information for flight in instrument meteorological conditions
iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.9″ x 1.3″ x 3.4″ (12.44 x 3.30 x 8.64 cm)
- Weight: 0.75 lbs (0.34 kg)
- Anti-slip mat (bottom of unit only)
- Operating temperature: -20°C to +60°C (-4°F to 140°F)
- Operating altitude: To 55,000 ft
- Nominal operating velocity range: 0 – 800 kts (411 m/s)
- Power input: 10 to 32 VDC, 3.5 W max.
- Battery type: Lithium-ion rechargeable (built-in)
- Charge temperature: Unit may not charge at extreme temperatures below 0° C (32° F) or above 32° C (90° F)
- Typical battery operating time: 8 hours
- 18-pin power and data connector
- ADS-B MCX antenna port
- GPS MCX antenna port
- Wireless Connext™ (Bluetooth®)
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
In the Box
- GDL 50 portable receiver
- Suction cup for cable placement
- Mounting bracket
- Trial subscription to Garmin Pilot™ app
- Vehicle power cable
|Dimensions||3.4 × 4.9 × 1.3 in|